The children’s holiday programme is held twice yearly, during the January and October school holidays.
The programme caters for girls and boys in the 10 – 14-year age group. It runs from 9-00am to noon Monday to Friday in the guild hall at 38 Featherston Street, Palmerston North.
Each child is given the opportunity to learn five different facets of woodworking: Wood turning, scroll sawing, carving, assembling of projects and pyrography/embellishment.
The holiday programme caters for 20 children, broken into groups of four to ensure over the five days each has the opportunity to learn all five aspects of woodworking.
The basic areas covered are
- Assembly Putting together items such as a stool using basic tools such as hammers and screwdrivers.
- Turning Making a small bowl on a lathe.
- Carving. Using chisels to create decoration.
- Pyrography. Using woodburning to create decoration.
- Painting and finishing. Various methods and types of finishing.
The next programme will run from in October inclusive from 9.00 a.m. until 12.00 noon. The cost is $100.00 for the week.