The children’s holiday programme is held twice yearly, during the January and October school holidays.
The programme caters for girls and boys in the 10 – 14-year age group. It runs from 9-00am to noon Monday to Friday in the guild hall at 38 Featherston Street, Palmerston North.
Each child is given the opportunity to learn five different facets of woodworking: Wood turning, scroll sawing, carving, assembling of projects and pyrography/embellishment.
The holiday programme caters for 20 children, broken into groups of four to ensure over the five days each has the opportunity to learn all five aspects of woodworking.
The basic areas covered are
- Assembly Putting together items such as a stool using basic tools such as hammers and screwdrivers.
- Turning Making a small bowl on a lathe.
- Carving. Using chisels to create decoration.
- Pyrography. Using woodburning to create decoration.
- Painting and finishing. Various methods and types of finishing.
Should this sound interesting please contact the Convenor, Mike Smith on (06) 355 5075 at your earliest as places are limited.
We are also looking for Tutors and helpers to make the programme work. Please telephone Mike Smith on (06) 355 5075.
The next programme will run from the 21st January until 25th January 2019 inclusive from 9.00 a.m. until 12.00 noon. The cost is $100.00 for the week. This will be our 9th programme.